Tuesday 9 June 2009

Double vision

It's been a while since I wrote here, and in the meantime I've been enrolled in the Rosary Confraternity – twice over! 

Yes, first I received a certificate saying that I would be enrolled on January 11, 2009, and I was all excited. I made sure I (at least tried to have) gained the Plenary Indulgence on that day. 

So began my life as a Rosarian...

But then, a few months later, in through the letter-box popped another certificate, this time saying I had been enrolled on March 25, 2009! It's obviously a clerical error, but it tickled me! 

I just hope I am not unwittingly obligated to say 30 decades every week...! 

I shall rummage through my old Rosary book and start posting again! I have also discovered that the Lady Altar at the London Oratory was gifted by the Rosary Confraternity members there – must find out more...! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you blogging, buddy!

The Lady Altar at the O was found on a rubbish dump by F. Keogh in 1879. Nabbing it and bringing it back to England was one of the most controversial decisions ever taken in the history of the Oratory. (There were two votes against!)

Matthew Schellhorn said...

So, would it seem that the inscription (in the Gospel side) about its being purchased by the Rosary Confraternity concerns the original bequest?

Dominic Mary said...

FWIW, the Lady Altar at the London Oratory was originally the Altar of the Rosary Confraternity in Brescia Cathedral - hence the very 'Dominican' character to the statues.

(Incidentally, I strongly suspect that the statues are the wrong way round, and that S. Dominic & S. Catharine ought to be ON the altar, and S. Pius V and S. Rose in the wall niches - look at the bases, and you'll see why.)